Help Build a Brand New Girls’ Dormitory and Fund the Music Program at Shanti Bhavan in India!
Written by Rachel on September 7, 2021
Today is an exciting day for us here at Critical Role [Foundation] Land and we’re so proud to announce our next fundraising collaboration with our good friends at Shanti Bhavan!
Since 1997, Shanti Bhavan has educated hundreds of children from the lowest socioeconomic classes in India, and has provided them with cost-free housing, leadership training, and advanced curriculum to empower them break out of generational cycles of poverty and create a lasting impact for many generations to come. In fact, 95% of the student population at Shanti Bhavan is from the lowest caste in India, with 60% arriving from rural villages. Each student’s family earns less than $2 USD per day.
After our very first meeting together, we knew that we had to find a way to rally our forces together and make some sort of magic happen together. To learn more about our brand new fundraising program and Shanti Bhavan and its students, check out our video and read more below.
To recap, our fundraising goal for Shanti Bhavan is $160,000, which is broken down into two very cool projects:
- $10,000 will round out existing funding for Shanti Bhavan’s Music for Good program, which has been an incredible mental health and artistic resource for students as the world continues to fight against the pandemic and related lockdowns. These funds will allow Shanti Bhavan the opportunity to provide and repair instruments and hire experienced music teachers for both in-person and virtual classes.
- $150,000 will go to building a brand new girls’ dormitory. This is an incredibly important project, as the girls’ dorms are currently overcrowded and it’s critical for Shanti Bhavan’s students to have a comfortable place to study, rest, and socialize with each other. If funded, construction will more than likely start by the end of 2021 and is expected to complete in late 2022, which is super cool because next year is Shanti Bhavan’s 25th anniversary (and, if we’re able to hit our goals, we’ll also have a very fancy Critical Role Foundation title plaque over the front door which is also super cool)!
We’re really excited about both programs but wanted to note that the female students of Shanti Bhavan face additional challenges due to societal norms and pressures around gender and Shanti Bhavan is a powerful driver to advance gender equality as it mentors these students through the many stages of the education pipeline where they may be left behind. This is one of the reasons why funding the construction of a brand new girls’ dorm was so important to us!
There are a few ways that you can support our campaign, all of which will make an invaluable impact and help us help the students at Shanti Bhavan:
- Make a monthly or one-time donation at criticalrolefoundation.org
- Purchase one of our brand new Critical Role Foundation tees, hats, or pins from the Critical Role online shops in the month of September
- US: shop.critrole.com
- UK: shop.critrole.co.uk
- CA: canada.critrole.com
- AU: shop.critrole.com.au
- Create a charity stream utilizing CRF’s integration with Streamlabs during the month of September
And, of course, if you are unable to donate, pick up some sweet CRF swag, or host a charity stream, sharing our campaign with your friends and family is also a huge help! As always, we appreciate your support and let’s make some magic happen for the students at Shanti Bhavan!
If you’d like to learn more about Shanti Bhavan, please check out their website here and, if you’re looking for an incredible documentary, we highly recommend the Daughters of Destiny on Netflix, which shines a spotlight on the important work that Shanti Bhavan and their wonderful does for their students.