Value Statement & Community
The following are our core values and community guidelines for Critical Role. These beliefs are essential to everything we do as a company. We hope that defining what we stand for will help shape our community and provide accountability for ourselves as creators.
OUR CORE VALUES
Believing in the Positive Impact of Storytelling
We believe that stories can change lives. There is something magical about escaping (even for just a little bit) the confines of our world in favor of what could be. Stories about the extraordinary, the dazzling, and even the melancholy can transport us to adventures beyond our imagination. We are passionate storytellers that create in collaboration with each other from a place of mutual respect and joy. We hope to create magical moments that inspire and encourage others to share their stories too.
Sharing the Love of Games with Others
Games encourage a sense of wonder that tends to fade as life becomes more complicated. There are few words to describe the feeling of discovery and the rush of excitement that occurs between a group of friends embarking on an adventure together. We hope to inspire others to embark on their own adventures too. Here are a few ways we share our love of gaming and work to uplift the many brilliant designers and creators within the gaming space.
- Our show Critter Hug proudly highlights diverse game designers, game stores, and other creators within the gaming community.
- From time-to-time, we create epic one-shot adventures featuring indie games, often focusing on boosting visibility for diverse storytellers and players.
- We have our own publishing company called Darrington Press! We are dedicated to bringing imaginative games to your table that create lasting memories. Find out more by reading our official announcement, here.
Staying Curious and Always Learning
Our adventuring party is always equipped with a spark of curiosity. This curiosity often leads us to new and exciting endeavors. However, no journey is complete without a few challenges along the way. These challenges are essential in our journey towards becoming better and more mindful creators. We acknowledge the mistakes we have made in the past and are committed to getting back up and trying again. It is vital to us that we maintain the stamina to keep learning and listening. We believe in staying agile and receptive to new information and strategies to improve together.
- We listen to community feedback to find ways to improve our processes, whether it’s internally or externally.
- We include diverse voices within our decision making process. Our experienced sensitivity consultants have expertise in many areas of diversity and inclusion.
Leaving the World Better Than We Found It
We believe in using our platform for good. Over the years, we have partnered with several nonprofit organizations that share our goal of creating a better and more inclusive world for generations to come. Our drive to create change has blossomed into creating our own nonprofit organization called Critical Role Foundation. Critical Role Foundation provides grants to other nonprofit organizations that share our mission of making the world a better place. Together, we strongly believe in our ability to create sustainable change within the world around us. Here are just a few of the organizations we have worked with.
OUR COMMUNITY PRINCIPLES
Official Community Spaces
The spaces we own, operate, and moderate are our official and verified Twitch channel, YouTube channel, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts for Critical Role and Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts for Talks Machina.
Creating healthy communities within our official Critical Role online spaces is vital to us. This is why we have decided to develop a list of community guidelines. We hope this list provides clarity for what our company stands for, and helps everyone navigate our official Critical Role spaces responsibly.
- We believe in treating others with respect. Harassment or hateful conduct will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to discrimination, bullying, hate speech, or any targeted attack on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, or socioeconomic status. Comments that violate this policy posted to any of our official online spaces will be deleted, hidden, and the user in violation may be banned.
- We believe in engaging in healthy discussions. Respectful conversations help us understand the world better. We also understand that not everyone shares the same lived experiences. It’s important that we are able to have discussions without engaging in harmful behavior such as negging, dog piling, or other forms of online bullying.
- We believe in establishing healthy boundaries. Making friends online can be a fantastic experience, but it is essential to be mindful of the type of information you share. If someone in the online community makes you feel unsafe please practice good social media self care and block, report, and/or contact the appropriate site administrators. If this happens on our official CR online spaces, please contact us at email@example.com. Please include the date of the incident(s), the social media platform it occurred on, and any screenshots you believe are relevant.
- We believe in having fun. We encourage you to find bright spots within our content and community that bring you joy! It’s also important that we all work together towards making our community safe for others to navigate. Listen to each other, learn from each other, and create fun in a way that doesn’t harm anybody else.
- We believe all who follow these community guidelines are welcomed here. Whether you are a seasoned adventurer or you are entirely new — you belong here. We encourage you to engage (or not engage) with our stories in whatever way feels best for you.
Accountability and Review Process
As we journey forward, it is important to us that we remain responsible for the content we produce and the official online spaces we lead. Here are a few things we have done to ensure that we remain accountable to our community, company, and ourselves.
- We work with a diverse group of sensitivity consultants who have personal and professional experience that cover many different intersections. Their expertise includes but is not limited to, LGBTQIA+ Issues & Advocacy, Gender Identity, Intersectional Feminism, Racism, Colorism, Neurodivergence & Mental Health, Ableism, and Religion.
- We work with a third-party professional chat moderation service that has allowed us to pay, train, and properly support moderation efforts on our Twitch channel.
- We will continue to moderate all official and verified Critical Role spaces (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitch) to remove comments that include harmful or hateful speech directed at the cast and crew, members of the community, and marginalized identities.
- We will review this statement and our community guidelines quarterly to ensure that they are relevant and up-to-date with community standards. Changes to these documents will be communicated on critrole.com.
Critical Role Land schematic header art by Matthew Mercer (@matthewmercer)
- This page was updated on 9/24/2020 to include information on Critical Role Foundation.
- This page was updated on 10/27/2020 to include information on Darrington Press.